Rugby League Wrap Up Round 3

Less than 48 hours after old boy Jake Turpin stole a win for the Brisbane Broncos, St Edmund’s College claimed their first points of the AIC’s inaugural rugby league season.

Like Turpin’s final-minute try to push the Broncos ahead of the North Queensland Cowboys, St Edmund’s had to rely on a late rush to seal a 20-all draw with St Patrick’s College in the third round of the First XIII competition last Saturday.

St Edmund’s hosted the third round, bringing its wider school community to its Tivoli playing fields for clashes with St Patrick’s.

The satisfaction of wins by the Eddies’ Rookies, made up of local primary school students who will attend St Edmund’s next year, and the Year 8 and Year 9 teams was tempered by a 0-20 halftime score in St Patrick’s favour in the First XIII match.

But St Edmund’s produced its best half of rugby league this season, storming home to claim a celebrated draw for the home crowd.

On a neighbouring field, Marist College Ashgrove took another step towards an historic double when they overcame a resilient St Laurence’s College.

Marist Ashgrove won 56-4 but the match was closer than the scoreline suggested after St Laurence’s pushed within 12 points of the lead as they seized momentum late in the first half.

But Marist Ashgrove – as they did against St Patrick’s College in the second round – hit back quickly with a try that propelled them towards their second win from as many matches this season.

In Saturday’s final match of round three, Iona College defeated Villanova College 52-10. Iona and Marist Ashgrove share the competition lead with two wins from as many matches while each team has had a bye.

Marist Ashgrove rattled off three tries in the opening 13 minutes last Saturday, setting the tone when they cashed in on a dropped ball by St Laurence’s in the second minute.

St Laurence’s hit back in the 26th minute, controlling the game for a 10-minute burst before crossing in the right corner.

But Marist Ashgrove’s try in the 29th minute stopped the St Laurence’s charge and helped the favourites to start the second half with a bang, keeping their line intact during the final 30 minutes.

There are no matches this weekend, leaving the competition to resume in Round 4 when Iona meets St Patrick’s, Padua takes on St Laurence’s and Marist Ashgrove meets St Edmund’s.